Friday, November 23, 2007

Did you shop till you dropped?

The name for the Friday after Thanksgiving is a little confusing to me, “Black Friday” the biggest shopping day in the holiday season. I have always associated ‘black days’ with events such as ‘Black Monday, 19th October 1987’ when the world stock markets crashed. However, the black in Black Friday relates to the expectation for retailers to move business performance from the red into the black by the might of shopping activity on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Black Friday shopping may prove to be successful this holiday season, there has certainly been wall to wall coverage of the event on the TV today but any success for retailers today will not be on the back of $ spent by me, I did not ‘shop till I dropped’ today.

Did you?

David Carruthers 23rd November 2007.

No comments: