Saturday, December 22, 2007

Running for life! Update (1)

It is now 6 weeks into my marathon training schedule and I am happy to report the following progress:

I now have a new respect for the task of running 26.2 miles.
My build up of running mileage is on schedule and I am now averaging over 40 miles per week, with a long run each Saturday of 10 miles plus.

My determination to complete this challenge has now taken over my diet and out has gone:

Alcohol

Burgers, french fries and chips

In has come:

Fruit, vegetables and pasta

Drinking lots of water


I have experienced my first feet blisters, nipple burn and difficulty in sleeping because of aching limbs.

I remain 100% committed to my marathon challenge and in a strange masochistic way I am enjoying every step of the process. I truly feel good and better for the training work completed. As I have said before, I am in the best shape of my adult life and looking forward to even more improvement over the next 3 months.

It is now only 15 weeks to race day. (Sunday 6th April 2008).

In the New Year I will be setting out how you can contribute to the two charities that will benefit from my running the marathon, so be warned, an e mail is on its way.

David Carruthers 22 December 2007.

No comments: